Installation & Licensing Instructions
Please follow these instructions when installing ArcGIS desktop 10 – Education Edition on your personal computer. This version will timeout 1 year from activation.
You will need the Activation code (EVA Number) that was emailed to you.
Check your system requirements to make sure your computer has the hardware and software required for the trial:
- The software must be installed only for a UF student on their own personal computer. If you need ArcGIS for a UF owned computer please contact email@example.com
- The software cannot be installed on a computer that has a previous version of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Server installed; if necessary, uninstall previous versions of ArcGIS Desktop or Server. It’s OK if the computer has ArcGIS Explorer or ArcGIS Pro.
- Check system requirements here: system requirements
- If you wish to install the software on a Mac, here are some helpful hints: from a GIS instructor at UF and from ESRI. However, your best bet might be using UFApps
Update your windows with the latest service pack.
Hopefully this is something you do on a regular basis to keep your computer secure. This step may not be necessary, but we have seen an install fail due to an out of date service pack
Activate your authorization code (IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DO THIS STEP BEFORE MOVING ON)
Two very important points here:
- You need to know what version of ArcGIS Desktop you are installing. If this is for a class, then consult with your professor. If not, then we recommend getting the most recent version.
- Do not download the software from this ESRI site — even though you will be prompted to do so. ESRI asked that our students download the software from UF servers — which will be much quicker than downloading from ESRI.
Visit http://www.esri.com/landing-pages/software/arcgis/arcgis-desktop-student-trial and either sign-up for free ESRI account or login.
Log in using your Esri Global Account, or create a new account, if necessary.
Enter the authorization code (EVA number) and click submit. At this point, you will be prompted to download software. Please DO NOT download now. Continue to Step 4 for a quicker download option.
Download the ArcGIS for Desktop ISO file (skip this step if ArcGIS is already installed on your computer):
Please check with your professor to determine which version you should install. If there is no class requirement, we recommended downloading the most recent version.
Please Note: To install from an ISO there are several different methods you can use:
- Windows 8.1 or 10: mount the ISO file as a virtual drive and install the software from there.
- Use 7-zip uncompress the ISO then install from the exe: http://www.7-zip.org/
- Burn the iso to a dvd and install from dvd.
Install and authorize the ArcGIS for Desktop software:
- Unpack (unzip) the files and folders from the iso or exe file that you just download.
- Run Setup.exe to install ArcGIS for Desktop.
- The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for a product to authorize; select “ArcGIS Desktop – ArcInfo (Single Use)”
- The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for an authorization code: enter your activated code. (If you didn’t follow step 3, then this won’t work).
- If you don’t automatically get prompted, then authorize your software by going to:
- start > programs > arcgis > ArcGIS Administrator
- If you receive this error “7174:Only deployed entitlement line item can be fulfilled”, please see this Esri Knowledge Base Article
Support for the ArcGIS Desktop Education Edition is limited. Please see the Getting Help link here.
If you would like to communicate with other students in the UF – GIS community, sign up for the mailing list here: UF-Student-GIS Mailman Main Page