Installation & Licensing Instructions
Please note, ArcGIS desktop 10 will expire on November 22nd, 2022, and will not be available after this date. You should immediately start the migration to ArcGIS Pro if you wish to continue to use desktop GIS software from Esri under the UF/Esri site license
More info here.
Check your system requirements to make sure your computer has the hardware and software required for the trial:
- The software must be installed only for a UF student on their own personal computer. If you need ArcGIS for a UF owned computer please contact email@example.com
- The software cannot be installed on a computer that has a previous version of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Server installed; if necessary, uninstall previous versions of ArcGIS Desktop or Server. It’s OK if the computer has ArcGIS Explorer or ArcGIS Pro.
- Check system requirements here.
- ArcGIS Desktop does not run natively on a Mac, there may be options, here is more information.
Update your windows with the latest service pack.
Hopefully this is something you do on a regular basis to keep your computer secure. This step may not be necessary, but we have seen an install fail due to an out of date service pack
Download the ArcGIS for Desktop ISO file (skip this step if ArcGIS is already installed on your computer):
Please check with your professor to determine which version you should install. If there is no class requirement, we recommended downloading the most recent version.
Please Note: To install from an ISO there are several different methods you can use:
- Windows 8.1 or 10: mount the ISO file as a virtual drive and install the software from there.
- Use 7-zip uncompress the ISO then install from the exe: http://www.7-zip.org/
- Burn the iso to a dvd and install from dvd.
Install and authorize the ArcGIS for Desktop software:
- Unpack (unzip) the files and folders from the iso or exe file that you just download.
- Run Setup.exe to install ArcGIS for Desktop.
- The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for a product to authorize; select “ArcGIS Desktop – ArcInfo (Single Use)” (This name might vary slightly based on the version you are installing, but make sure it’s ArcInfo and Single Use)
- The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for an authorization code: enter the ESU number received via email.
- If you don’t automatically get prompted, then authorize your software by going to:
- start > programs > arcgis > ArcGIS Administrator > Desktop > select “Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use” > Authorize Now…
- please note, if items are greyed out in the above step, please make sure you are running the ArcGIS Administrator with admin rights.
Support for the ArcGIS Desktop Education Edition is limited. Please see the Getting Help link here.
If you would like to communicate with other students in the UF – GIS community, sign up for the mailing list here: UF-Student-GIS Mailman Main Page