Your AGOL Account
When you login to AGOL you should do so with your GatorLink Credentials. Here is a video to help you with this. The main function of AGOL is to be a cloud based mapping and analysis platform, but your organizational AGOL account has other important functions, including: giving you access to MyEsri courses, tools such as geocoding using the World Geocode Service (in ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Desktop), as well access to various Esri software licenses such as ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Urban/CityEngine, and many more.
The Credit System
ArcGIS Online (AGOL) access is available via the UF Organization, however there are some things you need to know. Many AGOL actions you perform will use credits. Each AGOL user automatically gets 1,000 credits.
We have a set number of credits that are shared by the entire campus for the year. While ESRI is generous with our credits, please keep in mind that it is possible to run out of credits. It is difficult to know how many credits a given operation costs, hence we recommend you monitor your credit use as you use AGOL.
Our recommendations for limiting credit usage:
- Limit the amount of geocoding performed via AGOL
- Do not create map caches
- Careful when adding data with a large geographic area (e.g. countywide is OK, statewide data might NOT be OK)
- For more information on credits, see: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/credits
Joining AGOL under the UF Organization Account
By accepting the invitation to University of Florida:
- Any items you have in the account you sign in with will become part of the organization’s content and can be modified or deleted by the administrator.
- If you leave the organization there is not a good way to transfer your data and take it with you. There is third party software that will help with this, but it is cost prohibitive.
- Adding data to AGOL that has more than 1000 features can sometimes give you errors.
- This is currently a learning process for us here at GeoPlan. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.